Sunday, September 11, 2022

Blog Post #2 - Supreme Court

After reading the link below, I've dug up a lot of old memories that I used to know about the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States). But I also learned a few new facts that I didn't know or remember. 

(https://www.history.com/topics/us-government/supreme-court-facts)

One thing that I learned was I did not know that the SCOTUS actually denied citizenship to African American slaves back in 1857. Sadly the biggest surprise for me in that fact was that they even allowed this case to go all the way to the SCOTUS in the first place.

I think the most important thing to know about the SCOTUS is that even if they commit to a decision, it doesn't mean that it can't eventually be overturned in the future. We saw an example of this recently with the Roe vs Wade case, and I know that people are now very upset by the change, but it doesn't mean that it cannot be changed back. 

I think that the most surprising thing that I discovered during my readings were how many major cases had been decided during my life time. Towards the end of the article there is a list of significant cases throughout the history of the SCOTUS and it is very interesting to see that the three latest significant listed have all happened since I was born.

The video itself did not really change my views on the SCOTUS, I feel that I have always had a fairly open mind about the SCOTUS and that I don't think that there was anything significant in the video that would change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #12 - Technology

Technology is the most intriguing invention in the history of mankind. But technology can be anything. Lately technology has been labeled as...